Double Rainbow

2:55 PM

I found myself sitting in the ER trying not to cry too loudly, waiting for my husband to arrive.  My friend Susie had offered to stay with me but I just wanted to be alone.  I knew what the doctor was going to tell us and I was beyond devastated that my body wasn’t cooperating again.  When I saw Mike walking towards me, I fell apart.  We wanted to start our family so badly and, subconsciously, we both knew this wouldn’t be it.  We sat quietly, me trying to keep my sobs to a minimum, until we were taken back.  3 hours later, we were sent home to wait.  Wait for a miscarriage but no one used those words.  This felt all too familiar and I think we both had flashbacks to the few months prior when we lost our first baby at 10 weeks. 

We spent the next week laying in bed together, watching movies.  The process started in the early morning hours of a normal Tuesday.  I crawled into the shower and cried for awhile before I finally called Mike in.  He got on the phone with my OB/GYN and by the look on his face it seemed everyone had known the fate of this little baby long before we had come to terms with the idea. 

You become a shell of yourself for a time when you lose a baby but eventually you feel like you’ll get another shot at it.  When you miscarry two times in a row, it feels hopeless.  Like you’re letting everyone down.  The discussion turns to the best fertility doctors and if adoption is the right option for you and your husband.  Having a baby becomes a process, one that is exhausting and comes with many “crying in the car by yourself” sessions.  But I wanted a baby, I wanted a family with my husband.  I endured a litany of tests and multiple tubes of blood being drawn to see if I was “defective”.  I heeded advice from anyone who offered a suggestion or knew someone who had been through our situation.  The thought crossed my mind that maybe Mike and I weren’t a match.  Google told me many different underlying disorders that either one of us possibly had.

And then a year after starting this process (short by infertility standards), I felt funny.  I took a pregnancy test way too early to know for sure but it screamed “PREGNANT” before the timer had gone off.  Mike and I were elated but cautious.  Then it was week 6 and the technician saw two sacks.  “Wow that’s cool technology, a double image of the baby!” I say to the tech, “No that’s twins Steph”. And then I’m surprising Mike and I’m sick for weeks on end with a little tiny scare.  The babies are fine, a lot of women bleed just a bit in the first 12 weeks.   We’re announcing to friends and family and co-workers at 16 weeks just to be safe.  We find out the twins are boys at 20 weeks and then it’s a whirlwind and the boys are born at 35. It was over before it began.


They say the first baby that comes after a miscarriage is called a rainbow baby and here I was holding the new loves of my life.  My saddest and hardest time was over.  At the end of a devastating storm, we had a double rainbow.  A rare double rainbow we named Campbell and Lucas.


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Beautiful Steph!!! I just got chills! Xoxo
    (Dominique)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these 2 rainbows! And you! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story to motherhood--thank you for sharing; I trust that your difficult and winding path has made you stronger, and more grateful, than you ever thought possible. So happy for you! Double the blessings, doubly deserved ��

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts